Monday, August 2, 2010

DAY 2 SUCCESS


Two days down. The first day of the month, Sunday, August 1st, 2010, Sherrin and I completed from Hamdeok Beach to Gimnyeong Beach, a total of 9.5 kilometers. Technically, the kayak and our supplies are stored at the Sailing Club west of the beach. We will start from this spot Monday morning at 6 a.m.

Day 2's numbers: start at 2:10 p.m., finish at 6:30 p.m., averages out being - 9.5 divided by 4.3 repeating equals - more than 2 kms per hour.

The Jeju Big Swim team met with members of our primary sponsor The World Environment and Peace Summer School and the media for pot bing su at Sea Blue restaurant before starting today. I passed. The six hard-boiled eggs and the box of honey coconut biscuits suited me well for breakfast.
.


Getting out of Hamdeok Beach and around Seoubong, we headed for the tip of Daryeodo off the coast of Bukchon all in about 90 minutes. We were in deep, deep water from this point riding fast, fast current for 2 hours heading toward Dongbok. The water abused us, treating us like the proverbial stepchild with high waves and random choppy swirlings pushing us east.

Sherrin's nerves settled. If she had had a knife, it's possible she would have used it against me, the driver. We got in closer, finally paralleling the shore and easing in to Gimnyeong for the final stretch.

I'll admit we were too far out. Sherrin more or less follows my line. In some ways it's basic geometry, a straight line is always the best route. The next 3 days, we will be hugging the coastline.


The day ended with Sherrin upchucking just before arrival, an incredible galbi dinner with Fred, Hyon-mi, Young-lim, and Sung-mi in the town proper (Ria made a guest appearance.), and an intensive KBS media theatric performance at the Maze Park.

Survive and advance.

-Steve

1 comment:

  1. Boy, I realize that I haven't rooted the two of you on. Really, I send you all my best energy, most positive energy, most uplifting (buoyant!) energy, most energizing energy, most loving energy.

    I'm inspired by what all of you are doing, and the reasons. I'm sure the garbage you're encountering along the way is inspiring you all to keep on keeping on with this trek. Boy, can't imagine what it's like to be swimming or kayaking amidst such trash but there must be one part humiliation, one part frustration, one part motivation.

    You are both surely very busy these days so I'll stop here. Rest well, and be mindful to keep a positive attitude - saves energy for what you really need it for.

    Love, Troy.

    ReplyDelete